Monday, July 29, 2013

Belief In Miracles?

Do I believe in Miracles? That is my question of today. The municpal albergue I stayed in last night had a rooster in a beautiful coop and he crowed all morning to wake us all up for our daily camino. The chicken coop relates to the story of the Miracle of the cock. Embellished over the years it became one of the more endearing legends along the Way of St James. Legend has it that a pilgrim couple and their son stopped at an inn here on their way to Santiago. The pretty innkeepers daughter had her eye on the handsome lad but the devout young fellow thawrted her advances. Incensed by his refusal she hid a silver goblet in his backpack and reported him for stealing it. The innocent lad was caught and condemned to hang. Some accounts suggest the parents continued on their way, oblivious of the fate of their son and on their return from Santiago they found him still hanging on the gallows but miraculously still alive thanks to the intervention of Santa Domingo. They rushed to the sheriff's house and found him just about to tuck into dinner. Upon hearing the news, he retorted that their son was no more alive than the cock he was aboutto eart, whereupon the fowl stoop up on the dish and crowed loudly. The miracle was not lost on the sherriff who rushed back to the gallows and cut the poor lad dow, who was given a full pardon. We are left to speculate on the fate of the foxy maiden. Indeed so many miracles were ascribed to the intervention of Santa Domingo that the town that came to carry his name was also referred to as teh Compostela of Rioja. (From a Pilgrims Guide to Camino De Santiago)As I finish my cafe con leche and OJ this morning and head towards todays goal of Vilamayor del Rio, I am acutely aware how many miles exist between me and Santiago. It feels as if a mirlacle of effort will need to occur to arrive at my destination. These villages are so clean and fresh, old and quiet. I like waking up late and drinking coffee before I leave. All of the friends I have made and continue to see, are up and out of the albergue before 6 am! They have been walking 2 and 1/2 hours by now. I prayed this morning for the ability to only look at the stretch of beautiful countryside that is before me and not be bothered by what is hundreds of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment